Yarovaya Yevgeniya Anatolyevna
Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Geometry and Methodology of Teaching Mathematics, Novosibirsk state pedagogical University, Novosibirsk. ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8178-2117
AN INTEGRATED APPROACH TO THE FORMATION
OF MATHEMATICAL AND NATURAL SCIENCE LITERACY
OF MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS
The purpose of the article is to describe the author’s comprehensive approach to the formation of mathematical and natural science literacy of middle school students by performing complex tasks with biological content using scientific and methodological foundations and relying on his own experience.
The article substantiates the relevance of research in this direction and formulates
a contradiction that leads to the problem of finding optimal approaches to the formation of mathematical and natural science literacy of schoolchildren as components of functional literacy. The author offers an integrated approach to the formation of the two components of functional literacy in teaching mathematics in primary school, which correlates with the formation of meta-subject results in accordance with the requirements of the Federal State Educational Standard. Complex tasks with biological content are selected as a means of forming mathematical and natural science literacy, methodological requirements for their compilation are described and examples of tasks are demonstrated. According to the results of the study, conclusions are formulated. The prospects of work in the direction of using complex tasks with scientific content for the formation of functional literacy of students of specialized classes are outlined.
Keywords: pedagogical education, teaching mathematics, teaching biology, competence, functional literacy, mathematical literacy, natural science literacy, complex task, metasubject results.
1. Akumbaeva O. V. Application of a mathematical constructor for the formation of functional literacy of students at physics lessons. Innovations in education (Kazakhstan), 2021, no. S1-1 (53), pp. 15-18.
2. Asanova L. I. Tasks for the formation of scientific literacy. Chemistry at school, 2020, no. 8, pp. 28-34. (In Russian)
3. Astrashabova M. S. Developing quantitative literacy of students at geography classes. In the collection: Geography and geoecology in the service of science and innovative education. Materials of the XV All-Russian scientific and practical conference with international participation dedicated to the 140th anniversary of the birth of geologist and local historian Vyacheslav Petrovich Kosovanov. Krasnoyarsk State Pedagogical University named after V. P. Astafyev, 2020, pp. 75-78. (In Russian)
4. Borzova Z. V. Formation of natural science literacy of schoolchildren through the integration of natural cycle subjects. In the collection: Modern problems of biology and ecology. Materials of the reports of the III International Scientific and Practical Conference dedicated to the 80th anniversary of the birth of Sheikh Ibragimovich Ismailov. Makhachkala, 2021, pp. 206-210. (In Russian)
5. Bychkov A. V. Construction of tasks aimed at the formation of mathematical literacy of students. The collection: Actual problems of teaching mathematics and computer science at school and university. Materials of the V International correspondence scientific Conference. Under the general editorship of L. I. Bozhenkova, M. V. Egupova, 2020, pp. 69-74. (In Russian)
6. Vakhrusheva A. M., Vakhrushev A. Yu. Educational design and research activities as a means of improving the natural science literacy of schoolchildren. In the collection: Trends in the development of modern pedagogical science. Materials of the VIII All-Russian scientific and practical conference of postgraduate students, applicants, doctoral students, scientific supervisors, young scientists specializing in education. Ser. «Library of a postgraduate student» St. Petersburg, 2020, pp. 63-67. (In Russian)
7. Grekhankina L. F. Problems of formation of natural science literacy in the study of geography. Conferences of ASOU: collection of scientific papers and materials of scientific and practical conferences, 2016, no. 4, pp. 587-592. (In Russian)
8. Zagranichnaya N.A., Parshutina L.A. Integration of the content and methods of teaching natural science subjects in school education. Pedagogy, 2018, no. 9, pp. 47-51. (In Russian)
9. Zagranichnaya N.A., Parshutina L.A. Methods of formation of natural science literacy of primary school students: an integrative approach. School technologies, 2017,
no. 3, pp. 20-25. (In Russian)
10. Iglina N. G., Yarovaya E. A. Formation and improvement of the competence of 7th grade students through the integration of biology and mathematics. Novosibirsk State Pedagogical University. Novosibirsk, 2015. 210 p. (In Russian)
11. Ignatova O. G. The development of functional literacy when studying a school course in mathematics using intersubject communications. Azimut of scientific research: pedagogy and psychology, 2021, Vol. 10, no. 1 (34), pp. 126-128. (In Russian)
12. Kazarina V. V., Fomina T. M. Economic problems as a means of improving mathematical literacy. Modern science: actual problems of theory and practice. Series: Humanities, 2020, no. 5, pp. 78-83. (In Russian) DOI: 10.37882/2223-2982.2020.05.12
13. Kamensky N. A., Pshenitsyna N. S., Sachkova E. N. Practical mathematical tasks: methodological approaches and implementation experience. Problems of modern pedagogical education, 2021, no. 70-2, pp. 198-204. (In Russian)
14. Kiselev Yu. P. A Conceptual approach to the development of competence-oriented tasks aimed at evaluating and developing natural science literacy. Physics at school, 2020, no. 4, pp. 17-24.
15. Kryksa N. P. Formation of functional mathematical literacy through completing practice-oriented tasks. A source, 2021, no. 1, pp. 43-44. (In Russian)
16. Liaptsev A. V., Abdulaeva O. A. Features of tasks for the formation and evaluation of natural science functional literacy in comparison with standard school physical tasks. Physics at school, 2020, no. S2, pp. 104-109. (In Russian)
17. Maksimov Yu. A. Development of the creative personality of a lyceum student-humanitarian through integration in mathematics and natural science lessons. In the collection: Topical issues of the development of teachers ‘ professionalism in modern conditions. Materials of the International Electronic scientific and Practical Conference. In 5 volumes. Edited by A. I. Chernyshev, T. B. Volobueva, Yu. A. Romanenko, 2017, pp. 7-11. (In Russian)
18. The educational system «School 2100». Pedagogy of common sense. Collection of materials. Under the scientific editorship of A. A. Leontiev. M.: «Balass», RAO Publishing House, 2003. 368 p.
19. The main approaches to assessing the mathematical literacy of primary school students: URL: http://skiv.instrao.ru/support/demonstratsionnye-materialya/%D0%9C%D0%90_2019_%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B5%20%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B4%D1%85%D0%BE%D0%B4%D1%8B.pdf
20. Pentin A. Yu., Zarubezhnaya N. A., Parshutina L. A. Iagnostics of natural scientific literacy of students with the use of integrated inter-prediminary tasks. Pedagogical Journal of Bashkortostan, 2017, no. 2 (69), pp. 64-71. (In Russian)
21. Pentin A. Yu., Zarubezhnaya N. A., Parshutina L. A. Formation and diagnostics of natural science literacy: complex interdisciplinary tasks with a chemical component. Public education, 2017, no. 1-2 (1460), pp. 136-143. (In Russian)
22. Pentin A. Yu., Nikiforov G. G., Nikishova E. A. Main approaches to the assessment of scientific literacy. Domestic and foreign pedagogy, 2019, Vol. 1, no. 4 (61), pp. 80-97. (In Russian)
23. Perminova L. M. Natural-scientific literacy: a didactic approach. Innovations in education, 2017, no. 3, pp. 52-60. (In Russian)
24. Roslova L. O. What is functional mathematical literacy and how it should be formed. Pedagogy, 2018, no. 10, pp. 48-55. (In Russian)
25. Roslova L. O., Krasnianskaya K. A., Kvitko E. S. Conceptual bases of formation and assessment of mathematical literacy. Domestic and foreign pedagogy, 2019, Vol. 1,
no. 4 (61), pp. 58-79. (In Russian)
26. Rudacheva S. S. Critical reception techniques for the formation of natural science literacy of students in the process of teaching biology. In the collection: Methods of teaching disciplines of the natural science cycle: problems and prospects. Materials of the XX All-Russian scientific and Practical conference of students, postgraduates and schoolchildren. Krasnoyarsk State Pedagogical University named after V. P. Astafyev, 2021, pp. 69-70.
27. Sergeeva T. V. Use of mathematics knowledge at the natural scienceʼs lessons as
a part of the functional studentʼs competence in secondary school. In the collection: Actual problems of teaching information and natural science disciplines. Materials of the X All-Russian Scientific and Methodological Conference. Comp. S. M. Shlyakhtin, 2016, pp. 63-69. (In Russian)
28. Khannanova T. A. On the need for the formation of functional mathematical literacy on the content of the basic school physics course. Journal of scientific and pedagogical information, 2010, no. 3, pp. 117-124. (In Russian)
29. Shimko E. A. Possibilities of the modeling approach in forming pupil’s competence in natural sciences. Proceedings of the Altai State University, 2010, no. 2-1 (66), pp. 46-50. (In Russian)
30. Yarovaya E. A. Complex tasks in mathematics for grades 5-6. Volgograd: Publishing house «Teacher», 2015. 23 p.
31. Yarovaya E. A. Formation of meta-subject competence of students of 5-6 grades of primary school (biology, mathematics): monograph. E. A. Yarovaya; edited by corresponding member of the RAO, prof. A. Zh. Zhafyarov; Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, Novosibirsk State Pedagogical University. un-T. Novosibirsk: Publishing house of NGPU, 2014. 160 p. (In Russian)
32. Yarovaya E. A. Integration of educational areas in the context of the implementation of the Federal State Educational Standard of basic general education. In the collection: Ways of updating modern education. Materials of the All-Russian scientific and practical conference dedicated to the 80th anniversary of corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Education, Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, Professor Dmitry Alekseevich Danilov. Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation; Russian Academy of Education; North-Eastern Federal University named after M. K. Ammosov; Pedagogical Institute; Under the general editorship: A. I. Golikova, I. I. Portnyagina, V. V. Nakhodkina, S. V. Panina, M. A. Mestnikova, 2015, pp. 260-262. (In Russian)
33. Yarovaya E. A. Complex tasks and their use for the formation of metasubject results. In the collection: Actual problems of teaching mathematics at school and university. Interuniversity collection of scientific papers. Dedicated to the 145th anniversary of the MPSU. Moscow, 2017. pp. 160-165. (In Russian)
34. Yaskina O. A. Formation of natural scientific literacy in biology lessons with a system of modern visualization methods. In the collection: Actual problems of biological and chemical ecology. Materials of the VII International Scientific and Practical Conference. Ed. by D. B. Petrenko, editorial board: T. M. Efimova, A. V. Moskaev, S. V. Afanasyeva et al. Moscow, 2021, pp. 642-648. (In Russian)