Olga O. Andronnikova
Novosibirsk State Pedagogical University, Novosibirsk, Russia
Abstract. The article is devoted to the analysis of the formation of the professional identity of psychologists-consultants in the process of professional training at the university. The need for changes in the existing training system, determined by the transformation of modern requirements for consultant psychologists, is indicated. The importance of personal maturity of a specialist in psychological counseling for the effectiveness of activities is noted. The analysis of the specifics of the formation of the professional identity of a psychologist-consultant was carried out, the main areas for the development of professional identity were identified: the formation of an idea of oneself as a professional; formation of professional skills and attitudes; inclusion in the professional community. The main approaches to the inclusion of personal therapy and supervision in the educational process in the Russian and foreign systems of training specialists in psychological counseling are analyzed.
A four-component educational model for the training of psychologists-consultants (theory – practice – personal therapy – supervision) is presented, which contributes to solving the problems of training specialists. The possibilities of organizing this model within the framework of academic training at the university are considered.
Keywords: professional training model, professional identity, counseling psychologist, supervision, personal therapy, performance efficiency, vocational education.
For Citation: Andronnikova O. O. Four-component Model of Professional Training of Psychologists-consultants. Journal of Pedagogical Innovations, 2023, no. 1 (69),
pp. 50–60. (In Russ.) DOI: https://doi.org/10.15293/1812-9463.2301.06
1. Grechko A. A. Typological features of the professional identity of future psychologists [Electronic resource]. Psychology and Psychotechnics, 2020, no. 2, pp. 16–26. URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/tipologicheskie-osobennosti-professionalnoy-identichnosti-buduschih-psihologov/viewer (date of access: 10.10.2022). (In Russian)
2. Korablina E. P. Features of the preparation of a psychologist-consultant for professional activity [Electronic resource]. Proceedings of the Russian State Pedagogical University named after A. I. Herzen, 2005, no. 12, pp. 20–30. URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/osobennosti-podgotovki-psihologa-konsultanta-k-professionalnoy-deyatelnosti (date of access: 15.10.2022). (In Russian)
3. Mitasova E. V., Gafiyatullin E. E. Formation and professional development of psychologists-consultants in the process of training at the university [Electronic resource]. II International Conference on Counseling Psychology and Psychotherapy, dedicated to the memory of Fedor Efimovich Vasilyuk: collection of materials. Moscow: Publishing House of the Psychological Institute of the Russian Academy of Education, 2020, pp. 189–193. URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/stanovlenie-i-professionalnoe-razvitie-psihologov-konsultantov-v-protsesse-obucheniya-v-vuze (date of access: 08.10.2022). (In Russian)
4. Ovchinnikova Yu. G. Professional training of counseling psychologists. Alma Mater (Bulletin of Higher School), 2012, no. 2, pp. 45–48. (In Russian)
5. Shcherbakova T. N. To the question of the structure of the educational environment of educational institutions [Electronic resource]. Young scientist, 2012, no. 5, pp. 545–548. URL: https://moluch.ru/archive/40/4867/ (date of access: 25.10.2022). (In Russian)
6. Burkholder D. A model of professional identity expression for mental health counselors. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 2012, vol. 34, issue 4, pp. 295–307. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17744/mehc.34.4.u204038832qrq131
7. Gibson D. M., Dollarhide C. T., Moss J. M. Professional identity development: A grounded theory of transformational tasks of new counselors. Counselor Education and Supervision, 2010, vol. 50, issue 1, pp. 21–38. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6978.2010.tb00106.x
8. Kalkbrenner M. T., Neukrug E. S., Griffith S.-A. M. Appraising counselor attendance in counseling: The validation and application of the revised Fit, Stigma, and Value Scale. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 2019, vol. 41, issue 1, pp. 21–35. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17744/mehc.41.1.03
9. Kaslow N. J. Competencies in professional psychology. American Psychologist, 2004, vol. 59, issue 8, pp. 774–781. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.59.8.774
10. Koltsova I., Dolganina V., Shirvanyan A., Zalevskaya Ya., Inobat E. Professional development of a psychologist as the basis of his professional competence. Social and cultural transformations in the context of modern globalism, pp. 902–908. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15405/epsbs.2019.12.04.120
11. Lambie G. W., Mullen P. R., Swank J. M., Blount A. The counseling competencies scale: Validation and refinement. Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, 2018, vol. 51, issue 1, pp. 1–15. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/07481756.2017.1358964
12. McMahon A. “Part of me feels like there must be something missingˮ:
A phenomenological exploration of practising psychotherapy as a clinical psychologist. British Journal of Guidance & Counselling, 2018, vol. 46, issue 2, pp. 217–228. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/03069885.2017.1413169
13. Moss J. M., Gibson D. M., Dollarhide C. T. Professional identity development: A grounded theory of transformational tasks of counselors. Journal of Counseling & Development, 2014, vol. 92, issue 1, pp. 3–12. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6676.2014.00124.x
14. Paulsen J., Peel T. H. Betydningen av terapeutens egenterapi [Electronic resource]. Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening, 2013, vol. 50, issue 11, pp. 1074–1079. URL: https://psykologtidsskriftet.no/fagartikkel/2013/10/betydningen-av-terapeutens-egenterapi (date of access:: 10.11.2022).
15. Rоnnestad M. H., Skovholt T. M. The journey of the counselor and therapist: Research findings and perspectives on professional development. Journal of Career Development, 2003, vol. 30, issue 1, pp. 5–44. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/089484530303000102
16. Sabella S. A., Bernacchio C. P., Boland E. A., Schultz J. C. The conceptualization and assessment of professional dispositions in rehabilitation counselor education. Rehabilitation Research, Policy and Education, 2019, vol. 33, issue 3, pp. 198–211. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1891/2168-6618.104.22.168
17. Ziede J. S., Norcross J. C. Personal therapy and self-care in the making of psychologists. The Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied, 2020, vol. 154, issue 8, pp. 585–618. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.2020.1757596
Information about the Author
Olga О. Andronnikova – Candidate of Psychological Sciences, Associate Professor, Dean of the Faculty of Psychology, Novosibirsk State Pedagogical University, Novosibirsk, Russia, https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1756-7682, email@example.com
Received: 10.01.2023; approved after peer review: 27.02.2023; accepted for publication: 01.03.2023.